Friday 20 January 2012

Paris in the Spring

I've been ignoring this blog for a long time.  I wish I had a good reason for doing so, but I don't.  Since my last post I have stayed at some great hotels and eaten at some fantastic restaurants.  I wish that I had blogged about those places.  

I was going to restart my blog with a review of an Ethiopian restaurant in town but I've discovered that don't like Ethiopian food. Instead I'll blog about my parent's recent trip to Paris.  

My parents reguarly travel without me, abandoning me alone in the house.  So when they told me that they were going to Paris without me, this was not surprising.  They did make a big deal of insisting and showing me "evidence" that this was the first trip that they have taken without me.  They also went on and on about there being a cast of thousands staying with me or calling me on an hourly basis (spying on me, really) while they were away.  This was of course entirely beside the point.  So now I have to write about how much fun they had in Paris while I sat at home eating cold soup out of a can and dodgy luncheon meat. 



They are tastier in Paris

They stayed at the Keppler Hotel  on 10 rue Kepler (the loss or addition of the "p" is very confusing).  They said that it was wonderful hotel "furnished beautifully with an impressive eye to detail, spotless, quiet and staffed with friendly, knowledgable people".  

Paris and good food go together like abandonment and tears.  So anyways here is a list of all the places they ate at: 

  • Le Chateaubriand : "Young chef, we had the tasting menu with the wine pairing, ate these fantastic fried shrimp marinated in passion fruit and the dessert included a raw egg yolk encased in caramelised sugar.  The wines were unusual and perfect."
  • L'Office : "I had a wild mushroom consume and beef with polenta.  Excellent!"
  • La Marine: "Fun brasserie next to canal St. Martin.  Great scallops and oysters."
They also hung out at the following bars:


I'm sure that they a lot of fun but I am equally sure that they would have had more fun with me.  In any case they came back with three cans of cassoulet from Le Comptoir de la Gastronomie.

No comments:

Post a Comment